A while back I blogged about the ‘toilet van’ that is regularly parked across a pavement near where I live. The latest arrival is a burger trailer which now appears to have taken up permanent residence half on/half off a pavement on a road close to a local shop which is used by over 1,000 pedestrians a day during term-time. I wrote to the local police a few weeks ago asking them to do something about this, and to various other very badly parked vehicles with no response – and the trailer is still there. In case anyone is interested, authorities have the power to remove “any structure [that] has been erected or set up on a highway“, including “any machine, pump, post or other object of such a nature as to be capable of causing obstruction notwithstanding that it is on wheels”.(Highways Act 1980 Section 143)
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Pedestrians are discriminated against
"In contrast to the changes made to every town and city to ease motor transport, walking has been made ever more unpleasant. Pedestrians have been treated with contempt. In a myriad of ways when we walk we are treated with less respect than when we drive". (quote for a cross-party parliamentary select committee report on walking in towns from 2001).
This blog documents how this discrimination works, what laws underpin it and what people are doing to counter it. Please take action and share your experiences in the comments section, on twitter or join our facebook group. Add photos to the Flickr pool. All photographs cc-by-sa 3.0 unless otherwise stated or obvious from the source.
- #mayguerney – ignorance, or simply contempt for pedestrians?
- Yet again, pedestrians and cyclists don’t actually exist!
- Shanks’ pony wins gold at the 2012 Olympics!
- Are the @racfoundation being a bit silly again?
- Play Streets
- RAC Foundation – failing to see the obvious?
- Institutional ‘motoristism’?
- A double decker bus up on the pavement?!
- RT @MessengerNews_: Calls for a ban on pavement parking by 3 times Guinness record holder for blind land speed ... bit.ly/13234fe 1 month ago
- @BlockedPavement No problem. I did recognise it ;) It is pretty impressive to park a school bus on the pavement outside a school! 1 month ago
- RT @BlockedPavement: "I'm not sure how many people use this pavement anyway": Borough Council Engineer defending Borough Council lorry b ... 1 month ago
- RT @Ian_Campbell_: @PedestrianLib Wirral Pedestrians Association is inviting comments on its 10-point plan to tackle pavement parking: h ... 5 months ago
- @_vicky86_ Check out the 'law' section on Pedestrian Liberation bit.ly/LSZ9Il 5 months ago
- Regarding car ownership trends in the UK, here is a post I did in Aug11 based on more detailed annual DfT data bit.ly/12kUfgF 5 months ago
- February 2013
- December 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010